Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The War On Drugs

by Jason Sundin

Noam Chomsky states that the term war on drugs is an example of synecdoche "simultaneous understanding" referring to operations against suspected producers, traders and/or users of certain substances. What this means is we are the enemy. The war is on us much like W's war on terror. To them anything that is done against the grain so to speak is not going to be allowed in our society today. Honestly this is not a society i want my children to grow up in in fear because in the past years we have seen how worse it has gotten and us the community has been taken out of the equation.

When was the last time they put it to a vote for us to choose and this goes with many things like gay marriage. I think we should have this right. But there's a reason that they wont let us have it. There a reason that if you have over an ounce its a felony. The same reason that people with a felony can not vote. What they afraid of that they have to take away peoples basic right of free speech. If we took half of the money out of the war and put in into rehabilitation programs for drug use to me that would be beneficial to society in a whole. Instead of just letting that part of society fall down into the cracks. They should call it was it is the war on the lower classes and as long as they can keep the system like it is and keep the money into big business and and the government and do what the do best as in worry about themselves instead of what we put them in office for in the first place us. They're quick to forget about the people that have placed them where they are.

This makes me angry, it does. Last year I was taking my girlfriend out to dinner and I didn't leave my stuff at the house like I should of. I was driving in Smithfield, N.C. I got pulled over for what they said was a tail-light being out and not thinking that they where lying i was polite and did not fight with them. With them say that all was well and I wouldn't get a ticket they forced a search on my car. I was not speeding. I was not doing anything and I didn't have a tai-llight out. Knowing that I had Nicole with me I didn't fight I told them where my weed was, I got arrested for possession of over a half of ounce. When they took me to the police office the lead cop showed one of his fellow rookies and the rookie snatched the bag out of his hand and ran to his fellow officers and showed it to them calming that they never seen anything like that before. Is this the war they had in mind. They got really excited about it for wanting to keep it off the streets from children. Is this the protection that we need. Who will protect us from the police when it come down to it.

After the officer retrieved the bag from the officer he calmed that i wouldn't have to go to jail because it was only two grams over the half ounce mark. But there hollow promises did nothing as he said it there was a female officer sitting there after what she did with the guilt on her face know i would go to jail and what they did was wrong. I was pulled and forced a search on because i was at the wrong place at the wrong time and they felt like picking on someone. Over time she will learn not to feel that guilt to hold it back because this is how we are training our officers of the law. This is what our tax dollars are going to. We pay for this whole system and have no control over it I think Its time for change.

Do You?

4 comments:

Jessica C. White said...

I appreciated a couple of the points that you made, although I'm not sure about kids growing up in fear for the reasons you stated, maybe I just wasn't clear on the point you were trying to make. If anything, my kids are going to grow up to face an era where there may not be any polar bears. Where the climate changes so drastically that entire species cannot survive. That money remains still so important to people they forget that when the world is completely decimated, who will they give their billions of dollars to? I live in fear of the day that I cannot afford to get to work, and since we have virtually no public transportation system in most of the U.S., that will hit very hard.
But I do not live in fear of police brutality, of getting caught with my stash, or live with a general hate for the police. While I concede that they take advantage of people, I would ask you how many people REALLY wouldn't, given the job as an officer? Not that they should, but that they really would? The odds are in my favor.
I personally have come a long way as far as my beliefs about drugs in general, especially marijuana. While I do not see why the cops were "celebrating" because they got your stash off the streets, I will say that you SHOULD have left it at home. Because you shouldn't be taking it elsewhere or partaking of it in the car. The fact of the matter is that it is illegal, and you have to deal with that. There are many things in America's history that have been illegal and have turned legal. Women's voting, for instance. Now, while women having the right to vote probably does not get you high, the idea is that if you can rally the change you want, and you can stand up for it, then you can do it. Gay marriage is now legal in certain states. Over the course of time, it will be legal in the U.S. - but I guarantee you SC will be the last one to let it go, ha. My point, again, is that you have to abide by the laws as they stand, and fight for the change you believe in.

Or move to Jamaica.

Anonymous said...

they where not celebrating because it was off the streets they where because they thought it was good drugs and them selfs are fucked up to the point you claming that it is right for cop to pull people over and search them with no resoning as to the point on this it was trown out of court because of how they went about it and as to the others thing they will be address i did not taek this blog up to jsut bitch about certin thing but if you are like me "aka" someone who does live this life you know what im talking about and you know the fear you have and you can ask any black man in america if the police take advantage of people they would tell you yes

Chase Langdon said...

The Police do take advantage when they are bored. But I wouldn't say that ALL Black men would say that thats kind of stereo-typing.

And on the topic, with a revolution would definetly come police brutality. Just look at the 60s

Anonymous said...

im just saying i live in a lower class black neighborhood and me saying that is not stero-typing its the truth because unlike us where we are white and get by with more shit then others blak friends of mine tell me shit that happons. when i was in that jail i saw 90% black men. the shit they where in there for was crazy. one guy was in there for what i was for and his time was tripled. the only way anyone will understand is to go throught the system you will not learn this in some collage classes you wont learn this anywhere eles but when you go to jail when you get search and when you see the shit around you then you wake up and unless anyone has been in a situation like that i would ask someone eles that has been before putting there words in because im jsut telling it like it is