Friday, July 25, 2008

The Long Run

By Chase Langdon

This post may seem a bit different than other posts I have posted. It is about relationships and love. It is not negative nor am I complaining about some system. I am simply talking from the depths of my thought process about how I feel about our significant others.

I feel long distance relationships work better than close ones, at least for the first stages of the relationship. This kind of relationship is only for those who are truly in touch with themselves, fully aware of who they are as a person. This said, long distance is not for everyone. But for those that this applies to, can flourish with a ride of a relationship that will surpass any connection with any other human being you ever meet.

The basic reason this kind of relationship flourishes, in my opinion, is the fact that most of your relationship relies on conversation. I don’t believe in love at first site. But I do believe, if one has had many engaging conversations, and have connected in a way that makes them feel comfortable before actually meeting in person, then I guess it would be love at first site even though they have already been talking for months. This is how it was for Amber and I.

We talked for hours about whatever. Our conversations ranged from music to movies to farting. We didn’t even have to talk much sometimes; sometimes we didn’t really have much to talk about but just knowing the one person that makes you feel one is only a “you there?” away made us feel safe. We first talked for the first time online around June of 2004. We first talked on the phone around September 2004. We first met in person in October 2004. We stated our 4 year (in October of this year) long relationship in October 2004.

You can really tell when you have found the person you really connect with, when you can go through really tough times and still be able to find things to talk about, laugh, and be happy about. “Through think and thin,” I’ve heard that so many times in hardcore songs and in marriage vows but its so true. Only when you truly connect will you stay together forever. Sex is not everything; looks aren’t everything. Sex and looks are always a plus, but will they get you happiness forever and a healthy long term relationship? No is the answer. I am lucky to say that I have a beautiful girlfriend that I’m happy to have a family with, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. This is the part of the post we all say: “awww!”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Long distance relationships, in my opinion, are better. Every close relationship that I had, failed. Even though it was harder to control and you worried a lot about the other person. You still got off the phone with high hopes of a long fulfillment, long lasting love that honestly, you can’t really describe.

In a long distance relationship, you have to be patient and understand the other. But its hard when you have disagreements and everything seems to be going down hill. You sugar coat these things. But in reality, when it comes down to it. This isn’t a walk in the park.
But just like any other relationship, you have your good and your bad. But when your ear isn’t pressed up against that phone and you can’t hear the other. It feels as though you only have one part of yourself and your significant other has the other.
Deep inner strength and good memories more than the bad is what kept me in this long distance relationship for 4 years now raising a family and hopefully (one day) soon to be married.